Monday, October 18, 2010

Not So Chilly, Chili: Part 2

Ok, so ever since I made my homemade chili (which wasn't 100% to my liking), I knew I had to make it again. Enter, tonight! And let me tell you, tonight's was fabulous!

Last chili was spicy, but this one was spiiiiicy! And we loved every second of it! I guess adding cayenne pepper, jalapeno peppers, hot chili powder and hot garlic (yes, you heard me correctly) will do that!

Here's a glimpse at some spicy garlic...I had to buy it when I saw it!




















Not that different, but has a purple-y colour to it! So here's my new and improved chili recipe (the old one's tasty, too!)

And here are the essentials for the chili:

Some spices.




















Some beans.





















And tons of veggies.






















Not So Chilly, Chili: Part 2
(Revenge of the chili)

Ingredients:
5-7 roasted tomatoes, diced + any additional diced canned tomatoes (I needed the canned!)
1/2 tsp oregano
1 medium sweet potato, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
1 small zucchini, diced
4-5 medium mushrooms, diced
3/4 cup corn (frozen or fresh)
1 medium green pepper, diced
1/2 large onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic
4-6 jalapeno peppers, diced
1 can of red kidney beans, pinto beans and black beans, drained and rinsed
1 tsp cumin
1tsp curry powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp hot chili powder
1-1½ cups of vegetable broth
Salt and pepper to taste


Garnishes:
Mock sour cream (greek yogurt + lime juice)
Shredded cheese
Avocado
Freshly chopped cilantro


And here's how you make it!


First, I started by roasting the tomatoes (drizzled with olive oil, put into the oven at 425 for 30 minutes)




















Skins should just peel off the tomatoes...it's super easy. Dice those up!






















Then, in a large pot over medium heat add those tomaters and oregano and cook for a few minutes (until juices run from tomatoes).



Then, add sweet potato, onion, jalapeno peppers, garlic, carrots and celery to zee pot!






















To look like this:
























Let them cook and mix for about 10 minutes (still, over medium heat).

Next, add the remaining veggies: green peppers, zucchini, corn, mushroom to the mix.






















Plus, the spices and you have a nice medley.




















There's a lot going on in the pot, so this is when you might need a little vegetable broth. Let these veggies cook for another 10 minutes, then, spill the beans...into the pot, I mean! =D




















Mix up until it's all heated (another few minutes) and this is what you'll have:




















Move to a serving bowl and garnish!




















And enjoy...with a glass of wine!




















Off to Vancouver tomorrow, but will have an interesting post when I'm back again!

3 comments:

  1. I have never made hommeade chilli before. This looks delish! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fabulous! Once it cools off here in TX, this will be on my stove! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my kind of chili - Vegetarian, tons of veggies and SUPER spicy!! I love all the veggies you threw in there... I have never thought of adding sweet potato! Sounds great.

    How's the new foods challenge going? I've been trying a lot of new, strange foods lately... It's kinda getting outta control!

    ReplyDelete