Friday, October 15, 2010

Hearty Meal

Here I go neglecting my blog again...I am horrible, but it's only because I need to get done chemistry. Since starting it, I've been challenging myself to finish sooner and sooner. So, all in all, I've been doing at least 4 hours a day and almost 2/5th's through the course. Hey! Better than nothing!

So, I was meaning to post this a few days ago when I actually ate it, but of course I wasn't on time. But here it is.

Hubby and I had a delicious dinner of baked chicken with roasted veggies and garlic mashed potatoes. I had been meaning to make this chicken for a while, and finally did it!

It was a perfect night for this hearty meal, since it was on the cool side and we had done a nice run earlier that afternoon!

First, I started by putting the chicken in brine for an hour:




















Mmm, raw chicken!

So, while the chicken was 'brining' in the fridge, I proceeded to cut up the veggies. I would make this whole meal again just to have a veggies taste as good as they did...makes my mouth water thinking about it!




















I cut up butternut squash, sweet onion, carrots and brussel sprouts in there!

Next step was to grind up some spices to rub on the chicken - coriander seeds, fennel seeds and bay leaves.




















After the grind, I took the chicken out of the brine and dried it off. It should be completely dry! And place it on top of the veggies!




















Next, rub that chicken with those spices!


I put the chicken and veggies in the oven for an hour and 40 mins at 375. 

Alongside, were some garlic mashed potatoes; I steamed the potater's, roasted the garlic in the oven, then mashed them together with a little butter, buttermilk and fresh organic chives!

Since we were so excited to eat dinner, all I remembered to take a pic of was the potatoes pre-steamed!


But, trust me, they were really good post-steaming!

And finally the chicken is ready! I only managed to take one quick pic while the hubby was cutting it up. My mind really wasn't there thinking about the delicious meal that was only minutes away!


Just look at how good the veggies look! I would make this exact same thing again, just to have the veggies nice and roasted under the chicken!

Following that night, my life has been chemistry (woot, woot!) and going crazy!! I think I'll work out now for a bit so I don't go entirely crazy!

In good news: tomorrow is my very first wedding anniversary. I can't believe that this time last year, was my actual wedding day. It feels like yesterday.


It truly is amazing when you get to marry the most perfect person for you. How we came into each other's lives just amazes me. I don't know where I'd be without him. He really is my everything.

I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend. I know I will =)

1 comment:

  1. Such a great picture of you and the Hubby! I LOVE roasted veggies!

    ReplyDelete