Other than that, since the weather is horrible here lately, I decided today was definitely the day for soup. Here's the recipe I followed:
- 1 cup dried chickpeas (250 ml)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (30 ml)
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 5 cups chicken stock (1.25 litres)
- 1 teaspoon dried Greek oregano (5 ml)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (2 ml)
- 2 bay leaves
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- Coarse salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley (125 ml)
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice, to finish soup, optional
- Splash of olive oil, to finish soup, optional
- Grilled pita bread, for serving
(As done by Christine Cushing)
Thoughts: Now, it wasn't that bad, but I think next time I would start from scratch and just integrate chickpeas in a whole new soup...maybe using curry, or something along those lines. If you did want to make this soup, I would suggest using less lemon zest than it asks for. The zest really didn't do it for me. I would have rather had some spice, than the acidity. All in all, I need to get more adventurous and experiment with recipes! I don't know why I have this tendency to follow them ingredient for ingredient. Maybe the original chef likes lemon, but obviously I don't.
So this goes to say that I need to:
1) Either think up my own recipes;
2) Make little alterations that I think appropriate (it may turn out bad or it may not)
3) Stop looking at recipes altogether?
Maybe scratch the last point seeing as I like to cook. So hopefully next time my blog post is more insightful, creative AND inspiring. I just knew that I haven't posted in a while and I reeeeeally wanted to. Hope everyone has a good week!