Monday, September 13, 2010

Soup Day

Sorry, it's been a few days since my post. I guess I secretly keep hoping that Future Shop will call with some good news that my MacBook Pro has returned and I get to reclaim it as my own! Unfortunately, the days have dragged on with no new word of it being fixed yet. But, hopefully this week!!

Other than that, since the weather is horrible here lately, I decided today was definitely the day for soup. Here's the recipe I followed:

CC's Greek Chickpea Soup


Yield: 6


Ingredients



  • 1 cup dried chickpeas (250 ml)

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil (30 ml)

  • 1 carrot, diced

  • 1 small onion, diced

  • 1 rib celery, diced

  • 1 to 2 cloves garlic, chopped

  • 5 cups chicken stock (1.25 litres)

  • 1 teaspoon dried Greek oregano (5 ml)

  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (2 ml)

  • 2 bay leaves

  • Grated zest of 1 lemon

  • Coarse salt and freshly cracked black pepper

  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley (125 ml)

  • Squeeze of fresh lemon juice, to finish soup, optional

  • Splash of olive oil, to finish soup, optional

  • Grilled pita bread, for serving


(As done by Christine Cushing)

Thoughts: Now, it wasn't that bad, but I think next time I would start from scratch and just integrate chickpeas in a whole new soup...maybe using curry, or something along those lines. If you did want to make this soup, I would suggest using less lemon zest than it asks for. The zest really didn't do it for me. I would have rather had some spice, than the acidity. All in all, I need to get more adventurous and experiment with recipes! I don't know why I have this tendency to follow them ingredient for ingredient. Maybe the original chef likes lemon, but obviously I don't.

So this goes to say that I need to:
1) Either think up my own recipes;
2) Make little alterations that I think appropriate (it may turn out bad or it may not)
3) Stop looking at recipes altogether?

Maybe scratch the last point seeing as I like to cook. So hopefully next time my blog post is more insightful, creative AND inspiring. I just knew that I haven't posted in a while and I reeeeeally wanted to. Hope everyone has a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment