Friday, August 27, 2010

Hot, Hot, Heat!

Within the past year I have acquired a strong liking for spicy foods. I mean, so hot your lips are burning, kind of spice. I always like a challenge, and spicy foods do just that. How, you ask? Well, you're always challenging yourself to go hotter and hotter, which is exactly what I do when I'm making a spicy recipe. I guess overtime your tolerance to spice strengthens, so I keep on challenging myself!!

Also, I like the metabolic reaction the body has to spice, which is probably what made me begin eating it in the first place! Eating spicy foods increases your metabolism, which encourages your body to process foods more quickly, and that can mean one good thing - weight loss! I know spicy foods don't agree with everyone, but even incorporating a bit here and there might help you develop some sort of tolerance to a bit of heat!

Where to find spice: some great ways to add a little spice to your meals (even the simplest of meals) can be made through adding crushed chili flakes, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and peppers (jalapeno, serrano, banana, chipotle, etc), just to name a few. You could also add simple items like hot sauce/tabasco or any pre-made hot items in a can/bottle (I love chipotle peppers in adobe sauce).

How to add spice when cooking: I like to keep things simple and add them in places that don't complicate anything. Try making a spicy sauce for your meat next time (ex: pork tenderloin). I like to sprinkle crushed chili flakes into my mac 'n' cheese. Make a 'spicy butter' to put on your corn, instead of just using plain butter. Add a few chili peppers to your next batch of homemade guacamole. Or even grill up a few hot peppers on the bbq by adding a dollop of extra-virgin olive oil to the outside. Just be creative!

If those ideas don't work for you, then try your own creative ideas and have fun with food, because ultimately that's what it comes down to. If you don't experiment and make food exciting, then start now!!

No comments:

Post a Comment